Clip on Youtube. Thanks for sharing.
People working in music
- A bassist – Someone who plays bass guitar.
- A guitarist – Someone who plays a guitar.
- A lead singer – The main singer in the band.
- A drummer – The person who plays percussion and the drums.
- A programmer – Someone who creates music by mixing different bits or samples of others.
- A singer songwriter – Someone who writes and sings their own songs, eg Paul McCartney.
- A boy band – A group of young men brought together by a record company.
See more below:
Types of music
- Trance – DJ Quicksilver, Nomad, etc.
- Ambient – Tangerine Dream to Brian Eno, Aphex Twin to Penguin Cafe Orchestra, etc.
- Disco – Modern Talking, Steps, etc.
- Techno – David Holmes, Laurent Garnier, Dave Clarke, etc.
- Heavy metal – Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Guns n Roses, Nirvana, Limp Bizkit, etc.
- Indie [abbrev. Independent ie not mainstream]- Coldplay, Muse, Stereophonics, etc.
- Dance – Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Leftfield, etc.
- Drum and bass – Roni Size, Grooverider, etc.
- Jungle – Goldie, Digital, Photek, etc.
- Hip hop – Grandmaster Flash, Wu Tang Clan, Dr Dre, Eminem, etc.
- UK Garage – Truesteppers, Artful Dodger, Wookie, etc.
- Britpop – mid 90s British pop / rock – Blur, Pulp, Oasis, Suede, Elastica, etc.
In the studio
- In the studio William Orbit mixed some of the tracks on Madonna’s last CD. – He worked on the sound and arranged the music.
- Chinn and Chapman produced a lot of the famous bands from the 1970s. – They decided on the songs and the sound of the bands so the music had a distinctive sound.
- Most bands record many demo versions of their music. – Recordings of songs before their final production.
Making the music
- They got a really good deal with Warner Brothers. – They’ve been signed up by a major record company.
- She did vocals on Radiohead’s latest release. -She sang on Radiohead’s last CD.
- The concert’s been sold out for weeks. – All the tickets were sold weeks ago.
- They were headlining at Glastonbury. – They were the main band at Glastonbury [a festival often held on a farm in the south west of England].
- Paul McCartney is a great singer-songwriter -He writes his own songs and performs them.
- Maria Callas was a famous soprano. One of her greatest performances was as Violetta. She was accompanied by the famous tenor Arrigo Pola – These are terms often used in the description of operatic performers.
- The orchestra at the Royal Opera House was conducted by Bernard Heitink. – The conductor is the person who leads the orchestra.
- I can play the trumpet but I’m not very good at the piano. My brother can’t play anything! -These are examples of using play to describe what instruments you can use.
- I wish Jemima wouldn’t sing – she’s tone deaf! -Jemima is someone who can’t sing in tune or recognise different tunes.
- I’ve been able to sightread since I was six. – I can play music the first time I see it on a page.
- She was born to sing. – She is very talented at singing.